Monday, April 13, 2009

Blasted Broccoli Bowl


Emily is spending the night tonight, helping with the kids, keeping me company while Yancey is at fire school.  One of the many good things about her being here on Mondays is that I get to cook for her.  She is one of my most appreciative audiences and has a special place in her heart for my salad dressings.  This little dish, as you'll see, sports a dressing.

My plan for tonight had been to make a chicken spinach salad with sesame dressing.  Being as it almost SNOWED today, though, I was in the mood for something hot.  The 70 degree day we had last week seems like a sick joke at this point.

So an idea started forming about a rice bowl instead.  I had some broccoli in the fridge and had just bought a beautiful bunch of mint at McPherson's Produce.  I am the luckiest girl in the world to have lived near that produce stand for 12 years.  It's kind of a crap shoot sometimes, but if you're flexible, it never disappoints.  

One of my favorite, favorite things is any meal that combines hot and cold elements, like Vietnamese noodles or a salad with grilled vegetables.  I also have perfected the lazy art of putting greens underneath, in-between, or on top of almost everything.  If I have a bin of baby spinach in the fridge (as I almost always do), it works overtime.  Fiberlicious.

You could do so many other things with this recipe--use tofu, fish, or shrimp instead of chicken, use baby bok choy, green beans, or asparagus instead of broccoli.  The important thing is the layering--cold greens on bottom (spinach, romaine, cabbage, arugula etc.), a mound of hot rice, and then other yummies on top.

As I was at the stove, putting the finishing touches on dinner, Wyatt said, "Mom!  Look!  I'm setting up for your food blog!"  He had stood his school notebook up on the table, put a cluster of grapes at its base, and moved the bottle of Hoisin sauce into the frame.  What a lamb.  I hope I'm not damaging any vital developments in his young brain with my food obsessions.

Blasted Broccoli Bowl
(serves four)
2 chicken breasts, marinated in 1/4 c. soy sauce, 1 Tb. sesame seeds, 1 Tb. minced fresh ginger, and 2 Tb. vegetable oil for about an hour, or as long as you're able 
4 c. washed greens (spinach, romaine, cabbage, arugula, or a mixture)
4 c. hot cooked rice
4 c. broccoli florets tossed with 2 ts. soy sauce, 2 ts. olive oil, and 2 ts. sesame seeds
handful fresh mint, roughly chopped

For dressing (double if you want leftovers):
1 Tb. soy sauce
2 Tb. sugar
1 Tb. minced fresh ginger
1 minced garlic clove
4 Tb. rice wine vinegar
juice of one lime
1 Tb. sesame seeds 
shakes of red pepper flakes
2 green onions, finely sliced
1 Tb. sesame oil
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Turn oven to 450 and turn on your grill (or whatever method you're using for your chicken)

Make dressing--combine all ingredients except for oils and whisk well.   Add oils slowly and whisk until emulsified.  TASTE as you go!  My dressings are notoriously and maddeningly approximate.  One of my favorite tricks is to add more salt if you think the dressing is too oily. Salt absorbs oil.

Grill chicken breasts until tender, about 8 minutes per side.  Let rest for a few minutes before slicing into chopstick-friendly pieces.

Blast your broccoli.  Put a baking sheet into a 450 degree oven and let it heat up for a few minutes.  Toss broccoli with soy sauce, olive oil, and sesame seeds and throw it onto the hot pan and cook until it starts getting browned and crispy in places--about 10 minutes.  Give the pan a good shake a couple times.

Assemble your bowls--greens on bottom, rice, chicken and broccoli, then a drizzle of dressing with a shower of mint over the top.  Serve with sriracha and hoisin sauces on the side, if you like.

9 comments:

Midori said...

Everyday I can't help to see what you have come up with! Since I'm just as addicted to fb, I have added you to my links for easy access! Checking in this late at night gets my stomach grumbling just in time for a midnight snack (well, not quite that late). I will soon learn how to stock my pantry appropriately from the rhythms of your blog. :)

Sarah Murphy-Kangas said...

Yeah! I am happy you are addicted. Yes, a stocked pantry makes many things possible...sounds like a future blog entry :)

Naomi Cox said...

I hope one day to have as many things laying around my pantry & fridge to cook up delicious creations on a whim like you! You are so talented! That is so cute about Wyatt. I too always look forward to your entries. xo.

Naomi Cox said...

a) Delicious.

b) So glad I used chicken instead of tofu.

c) I finally grilled my chicken right! Medium on the grill instead of high. Best chicken I've ever made (thanks to you!)

d) Smart way to cook broccoli! I never would have thought of this.

e) MInt. I never buy mint, but it made all the difference. Now I have it around for other stuff!

f) This dressing is so good, you could just put it over plain rice and have a tasty meal. I made 2x so I can use it later in the week. So far I have 2 dressings leftover — this one + the slaw dressing. I will never catch up to you + Mama in the bits-of-yumminess-hanging-around-the-fridge department, but I can try!

g) Jasmine rice is so much better than Enriched Safeway rice.

h) I love arugula + spinach.

i) I can tell already the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sesame seeds etc. will become staples in our house.

j) Instead of dreading going to the grocery store today + making dinner, I LOOKED FORWARD TO IT!

k) xo.

l) Excited for Yancey's graduation!

Sarah Murphy-Kangas said...

Sister--I love that you looked forward to going to the store and making dinner tonight. That is music to my ears.

Peggy said...

What has gotten into you Naomi? Looking forward to going to the store,AND cooking dinner?I know Sarah's passion for food is contagious, but obviously it is becoming an epidemic,I'm excited you have the disease,I'm afraid there is no cure,and it is untreatable.

Anonymous said...

Next time Wyatt sets up a photo shot for the blog, you'd better post it instead of calling him a sweet little lamb. That would have made a great picture, to bad he didn't get a chance, Next time Wyatt.

Naomi Cox said...

Haha, Mama! I'll see how long it lasts! Hopefully it doesn't wear off. Seriously, Sarah...your recipes + writing are very inspiring. So everyday, yet so yummy. Simple but with a twist. It's so much more fun to check out your posts + get inspired to cook than look through my cookbooks. Keep at it!

CJ Fisher said...

oh yum! i make a lot of asian food and have wondered how to find the sweet/sour/salty taste i crave. thanks for helping me get there, sarah! cj fisher