Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Quick Mango Treat


At the Lynnwood Trader Joe's yesterday (Yancey's new stomping grounds) and spotted this "nonfat plain pleasantly tart" frozen yogurt.  For $2.99, I had to try it.  It's GOOD!  A pleasing substitute for that (really expensive) frozen yogurt that's popping up everywhere at Red Mango or Pink Sillyhead or whatever all those places are called.  I try not to have actual ice cream around too often because it is my undoing.  This frozen yogurt gives me a little "the-kids-are-in-bed-I-feel-like-celebrating-and-watching-American-Idol" treat without breaking the calorie bank.  Oh yes.  I do think about calories.  There's a post on that coming up which might be right up your alley or you might decide I'm not your kind of gal.  Either way, stay tuned.

I also got a bag of frozen mango chunks at TJ's.  I like to have them around for smoothies.  This time, seeing the mangos and frozen yogurt so cozy together in my cart, I thought of a recipe from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Express, which I have borrowed from the library twice.  This book provoked several "I can do that!" responses, which is what inspires me where cooking is concerned.  Didn't I just say in a recent posting that I'm not into celebrity chefs?  I guess you'd better take much of what I say with a large grain of salt.

Since the book is back in Seattle Public Library's stacks, I can't give her recipe, but it was a kind of "mangos foster" with rum, butter, and brown sugar.  I sauteed frozen mango cubes (Nigella admits to using bagged cubed mangos--we're in good company), in butter and brown sugar and added a squeeze of lime juice at the end.


I poured the warm mangos over "pleasantly tart" frozen yogurt and topped mine with some lime zest.  You could also put toasted coconut or chopped macadamias or bits of crystallized ginger or...agh!  I need to go make another bowl of this.


Do I need to include a recipe for this?  Would that insult you or comfort you?  I'll include one just in case.  Oh--thanks, Nigella.  I guess you're not just another pretty face.  (And Loretta approves, in case you need more endorsements.)


Quick Mango Treat
(serves 4)
2 cups cubed frozen or fresh mangoes
2 Tb. butter
1/4  c. brown sugar
juice of one lime and 2 ts. lime zest

Melt butter in a skillet.  Add mangoes and brown sugar and cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves and mangoes warm and thaw (about 4 minutes).  Finish with lime juice and serve over ice cream or frozen yogurt.  Feel slightly guilty that you've resented Nigella Lawson for being both beautiful and smart.

4 comments:

RJC said...

That's a Murphy-Kangas if I've ever seen one!

Midori said...

Wow, I didn't know Trader Joe's has nonfat frozen yogurt! I was just there yesterday, but had both kids with me. So it was a "get what you need quickly and out" kind of shopping. I'll have to pick it up next time I'm in there. Love the idea of your Quick Mango Treat! While I was vacuuming today I was thinking about it and thought that adding fresh mint would be yummy too! Definitely will come in handy when the sun comes out again! By the way, I laughed when I read your "the kids are in bed I feel like celebrating...". I CAN relate!

margaret said...

This posting makes me want to squeeze Loretta, and eat frozen yogert,at the same time.

margaret said...

Of course I meant yogurt.I'm using up my pineapple that is getting over ripe, I know you'd be proud of me,cause it's that leftover "thing" that floats your boat.