Friday, April 10, 2009

A Macrina Kind of Day


Ah, Macrina.  How I love thee.  Macrina's newest location in SODO is just seven minutes from my house, and my checkbook is suffering as a result.  Many Friday mornings, I take Loretta and Milo there to kill time before we meet Aimee, Darlene, or Eileen at the play gym.  The toddlers put their grimy hands all over the display case, ask for the biggest cupcakes, and run laps down the length of this beautiful space.  Of all three locations (Belltown, SODO, and Queen Anne) this new spot is definitely my favorite, and it's where they do most of the baking.  I lift the kids up to see what's being frosted behind the display windows, and everyone is always so friendly. What more could you want?

This morning, I bought a loaf of semolina rosemary bread.  Once the kids were down for their naps, I made myself a grilled sandwich with avocado slices, Gruyere, and some caramelized onions leftover from pizza we made last weekend.  This is the silly thing about me--I'm not just doing this because I have a food blog.  I started a food blog because I cannot help but turn even the most solitary of meals into an event.  



If you decide to follow this blog at all, you will, no doubt, get tired of sandwich photos.  I am always looking for an excuse to eat a sandwich.  On cold days like today, I will make it a hot one.  With the exception of hamburgers or tortas, I am often quite disappointed when I order a sandwich out.  It's not about gourmet ingredients, but about getting the crunchy-soft or hot-cold ratios right.  A lot of kitchens and delis just can't do that, it seems.

Of course, I couldn't come home from Macrina with just a loaf of bread.  Around 2:30 or 3:00, before I pick the kindergartners up from school, I'll need a little boost to get me through the afternoon.  This coconut cupcake with little frosted Easter birdies and a shot of espresso ought to do the trick.  I'll have to figure out a way to eat it on the sly. There's no way I'm sharing it.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah,

I have been enjoying reading your blog. It always brings a smile to my face. I don't know if I can keep reading though - it makes me so hungry!

Margaret said...

You are dead right, It is hard to find a good sandwich out, and and it is all about the layering, what goes where and next to what.James never orders sandwiches out either,
because he is always disapointed.There is an art to a good sandwich, it's a wichcraft. If you are in Bellingham go to the Baglery and order a havarti sandwich,on a bialy, substitute their mustard for dijon, and you will know they have the craft.

Peggy said...

I had a Skagit Valley kind of day today.We headed to my favorite block in Skagit Valley on Farm to Market Rd, where I believe you will find the best fixing for sandwiches from here to Seattle. The highlight of the excursion was the asparagus sandwich I had at Farm to Market Rd.I have to admit as adventurous as I am, I was sceptical,about this one. It turned out to be one of the best combo's of ingrediants, I've had in a long time.I liked it so well, I changed my lunch menu tomorrow just so I could have one.They had those crispy tips, roasted artichoke hearts, smokey mozzarella,and young arugula,on a toasted baggette,with lemon aoli.
So Sarah here is just one more way to use up those crispy tips.It would be worth it to save a few, to make I bet your first asparagus sandwich, you leftover Diva you!!!!

Peggy said...

P.S. This is the sandwich that you better not forget that pear,promise ya!