Thursday, April 23, 2009

Scones for Candace

After Wyatt went to bed last night, I found this sticker he had made.  He put it right next to the computer.  He told Loretta, "Mom's taking pictures for her new business."

Started thinking about scones this morning for two reasons.  1) I have some créme fraiche in the fridge, as you know by now.  2) The wonders of Facebook have put me back in touch with my old high school friend, Heidi.  Her status the other morning was about baking muffins, and that got me thinking about her mom Candace.  More specifically, about Candace's apricot ginger scones.  Candace was a great cook (and much more precise than me).  I hope she's still cooking.

This is a basic scone recipe from Barefoot Contessa, and I’ve substituted créme fraiche for cream and added lemon zest, dried apricots and candied ginger.  All you need for this is a bowl and your fingertips.  I always bake my scones in a round and cut them into wedges afterward. Easier and more tender results.  You don’t end up with those dried-out edges that  you see in so many bakeries.

By the way, Jordan’s mom Barb, a Californian, sent up a beautiful bag of lemons.  Beware.  It is now officially lemon month. Stock up.

Apricot Ginger Scones
2 c. flour
1 Tb. baking powder
1 Tb. sugar
1 ts. salt
3 Tb. diced candied ginger
1/4 c. diced dried apricots
2 Tb. finely grated lemon zest
7 Tb. cold butter
2 eggs, whisked
1/2 c. cold créme fraiche or heavy cream
bakers’ sugar crystals or sugar for the top

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Work in butter with your fingertips until mixture is pebbly. Add ginger, apricots, and lemon zest.  Add eggs and créme fraiche and mix until just holding together.  Pat into a round about 3/4″ high and 6″ diameter.  Cut into 8 wedges and scatter sugar crystals or sugar over the top.  Bake until slightly golden, about 20 minutes.  Let cool a bit before pulling out wedges.  These were delicious with my leftover lemon curd…maybe you have some sitting around!


6 comments:

jordan said...

i had a sarah mk food evening! i made fried rice (once again, thanks for even the most simplest of recipes! some of us need even these as we get more comfortable with "throwing" things together method) AND i just preserved the lemons mom left me. :) you'll likely be sick of me as i seek your counsel on ways to consume them. i feel so domestic.
xo
j.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh,my mom will be so thrilled! I just sent her a link to your blog so I'm sure she'll check it out soon. Btw, I also sent the link to about 25 of my friends. You're blog is now headed for an international reading audience :)

The Kubin Family said...

Oh dear! Now my OTHER daughter has logged in. I gotta check these things before I post a comment!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, What a delight to see you cooking and enjoying it so! Yes I am still cooking, and enjoying every minute of it! Thanks for the memory, and including me on in your Apricot Scone story. They looked faboulous..if you want to go completely over the edge (which is always fun, now and then:)..slather them with devonshire creme...oh my goodness. Keep cooking girlfriend.
Candace

Sarah Murphy-Kangas said...

Candace! Hello! I am so happy that you saw this. I have so many good memories of good meals at your house. My new blog is www.inpraiseofleftovers.com. I hope you keep following along--Sarah.

Claudia said...

I am a sucker for scones and this is a grand one. And - (drum roll) all the ingredients are rolling around in my un-stuffed kitchen. (End of the week grocery blues).