Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tax Day Comforts


All over town for several weeks now, I've seen Taco del Mar's billboards--"Get a free taco on tax day!"  That's generous of them, I guess, but I've got a better idea.  Pour yourself a cup of coffee and read this.

Since Yancey and I were both self-employed last year, tax day means paying the accountant, writing a big old check, and standing in line at the post office to send it certified mail.  This day has the potential to be Depression Central, but I'm learning to view it differently.  When I write out that check and deplete our savings account, I think of all the things my taxes are going for--Wyatt's wonderful public school (I still can't get over the fact that it's free to us), the stoplight down the street that allows children to cross safely, the first responders that will come to my house should I call 911.  It's far too easy to complain on April 15, so I'm learning to be grateful when I sign those papers.  A little snack and a latte help, too. I'm getting to that part.

I went to PFI today again (more on that later) and whenever I'm there, I always pick up a bag of Greek pita.  They keep it in the freezer, and I usually do, too.  I don't know why this particular brand isn't more widely available.  They sell it at the Greek gyros place at Pike Place Market and a few grocery stores, but I can never count on finding it.  You can, of course, use it for actual gyros or falafel sandwiches, and I do that sometimes.  More often, though, I use it as flatbread or pizza crust.  For the kids, I'll put pizza sauce and mozzarella on it.  For me and Yancey....where do I start?


By now, if I were to ask you, "What are two things in Sarah's fridge?" you would probably answer, "Spinach and mint."  I'm sorry--they are not gone yet.  I am serious about this leftovers thing.  The good news is that you can make these little treats with a limitless variety of toppings.  This week just happens to be the Spinach and Mint Festival.

I made this little Tax Day Comfort for myself while Milo and Loretta were slurping Top Ramen behind me.  I can get a lot done with Top Ramen as my helper.  I read recently that someone named Top Ramen as one of the 8 foods that is worst for you.  Don't call CPS on me.

The feta that I used is Bulgarian sheep's milk feta, only $4.95/lb. at PFI.  It's very soft and ultra tangy.  If you use domestic cow's milk feta, it's quite a bit more dry and you can drizzle more olive oil on top if you want.

Other combos I've been known to make for snacks or family dinners:
  • Refried beans, cheddar, pickled jalapenos, red onions, cilantro
  • Blue cheese, pecans, caramelized onions
  • Pesto, spinach, mozzarella, parmesan
  • Ajvar (roasted red pepper spread from PFI) or roasted red peppers, pine nuts, fontina
  • Marinara, sausage, goat cheese, thyme
  • Etc. etc.
I have been getting so much feedback about this blog--some in the form of comments, others in phone calls or emails.  I am tickled that so many of you are enjoying it, cooking from it, or passing it on to your friends.  I just couldn't be happier about that.  Thank you.


Feta Mint Flatbread
Preheat oven to 400.  Brush olive oil onto a round of pita bread.  Make the base with a handful of roughly chopped fresh spinach and a handful of crumbled feta.  Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds (or chopped pecans or walnuts) and a bit of lemon zest over the top.  (I made mine with some diced preserved lemon, but I always have that around.  I'll post a recipe for it someday.)  Drizzle a bit more olive oil over the top and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until crust is a little brown around the edges and feta has melted a bit.  The idea isn't to get this super hot, but just to meld the flavors.  Since the pita is already cooked, you don't need to keep it in as long as you would a real pizza.  When it's done, sprinkle some chopped fresh mint over the top and cut into four wedges.  I also put red pepper flakes on mine, but by now, you could probably just assume that.

Happy Tax Day.  

5 comments:

Naomi Cox said...

Reading this post is the highlight of my day so far. Much better than walking around Macy's trying to figure out how to use my $50 gift card, feeling rushed that Ezra was going to wake up, not knowing where to begin since my wardrobe really needs much more than 1 or 2 new items...and eventually leaving overwhelmed in tears! Who cares about Lucky jeans if you have pita + feta anyway, right?!

I have been thinking the same thing about that pita! I was delighted to find it (same, but different packaging) at Metropolitan Market the other week and wished it was more readily available. I had on my grocery list to go there to get some more for another gyros meal this week. I forgot about PFI!

Never thought to use it like this. Good idea. I will do something like this instead of gyros!

You are right, I saw those chili flakes on top in the pic and thought, "Well of course she's going to top it with chili flakes!" You + Mama with your chili flakes. Mama + Papa were over recently and I was out of them. For her, it was like I was out of milk or bread...being out of chili flakes! Am I right, Mama!

OK, enough already! Your blog is keeping me from working!

See you + the kiddos tonight!

bbarrett said...

look! here i am commenting! I somehow figured out my computer and now i will leave lots of comments. i LOVE your blog and plan to make EVERYTHING you have on there. i made kristina kringle for easter as well as your biscuits. i was like a little sarah disciple. btw, you need to devote an entry to your biscuits...i do so love them. EVERYONE raved about the food and i proudly gave you credit. :)

i wish i could be with you more often to share your yummy meals.

Claudia said...

I like you tax day comfort! I am also self-employed and write out these checks four times a year. I should take the attitude that - the more I write out - means I made more than usual! I love the flatbread. Our mint bush isn't up yet - but I can improvise!

Midori said...

I read this thread a couple days ago and when I went grocery shopping I thought of PFI. I'm sad I don't have anything like that in my area, but I did pick up some greek yogurt, feta cheese (I'll try goat next time) and some yummy olives!

By the way, I made the granola 3 times, each time a little different. My son loves it and am thrilled I can make some with or without nuts! Can't wait to take it backpacking/camping with us this summer!

Molly said...

Thanks for seeing your coffee cup half full instead of half empty.Your attitude was contagious,and certainly eased the pain as I dropped my check into the mailbox.